|Search This Record Series:|
This collection of 123 glass lantern slides shows the City of Spokane and Spokane Parks between 1900 and 1930. Images include Liberty Park, Manito Park, Cliff Park, Franklin Park, Glass Park, A. M. Cannon Playfield, Cannon Hill Park, Corbin Park, Hay’s Park, Bowl and Pitcher, Indian Canyon Park, Palisades Park, picnics, swimming pools, playgrounds, winter scenes, Native Americans, and the Spokane River. Most of these images were used in Spokane promotional literature and several appear in the Report of the Board of Park Commissioners, Spokane, Washington, 1891-1913.
The City of Spokane Parks was originally established in 1891 and was under the supervision of the Mayor, the President of the City Council, and the City Engineer. In 1907, spurred by public demand, a more systematic park plan began to form which included the appointment of ten members to the Board of Park Commissioners. In 1910, the City of Spokane passed a new city charter and in 1911 the City of Spokane voters passed a bond to help with the further development of parks. Today, the City of Spokane Parks includes 4,100 acres of developed parks and conservation land.
All notations are in English.
These images are open for research.
Imaged and indexed by the Washington State Archives, Eastern Regional Branch staff and volunteers.
Preferred Citation: [Title of image], [date], [photographer if known], City of Spokane, Lantern Slides, 1900-1930, Washington State Archives, Digital Archives, http://www.digitalarchives.wa.gov, [date accessed].
Source: Spokane Municipal Government, Parks and Recreation Department, Glass Lantern Slides, 1900-1930, Eastern Regional Branch, Washington State Archives, Cheney, WA.
To learn about related records, contact the Eastern Regional Branch at (509) 235-7508 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.